September 12, 2017: ANNOUNCEMENT from Community School District 1
Dear District 1 Families,
I am writing to share exciting information with you about a proposal for student admissions in District 1.
The New York City Department of Education is committed to supporting learning environments that reflect the diversity of New York City. We believe all students benefit from diverse and inclusive schools and classrooms where all students, families, and school staff are supported and welcomed. Here in District 1, we have a long history of working to ensure that students are admitted to District 1 schools in a way that is fair, equitable, and leads to schools that reflect the diversity of the District 1 community.
Together with District 1 school leaders, Superintendent’s office, parent and community leaders, and Department of Education staff, we have developed a proposal to further our work to ensure that the schools of District 1 reflect the families in the District 1 community.
Under this proposal:
- District 1 will launch a Family Resource Center (FRC), which will provide information, education, and services to District 1 children and families to create equitable access to quality programs and resources. This center will be a welcoming resource hub and an inclusive, one-stop-shop for families. The FRC is located within PS 15 at 333 East 4th Street. The FRC will open on October 2nd, and will be open every day that school is in session. The Center will be staffed full-time to support families in learning more about schools in District 1, and will host events created for and by the community.
- The District will implement a district-wide Diversity in Admissions program, which will change the way we run admissions for families applying to Pre-K and Kindergarten for fall 2018 in an effort to help our schools reflect the diversity of our community. This admissions model gives a priority to students who qualify for free or reduced lunch (FRL), students in temporary housing (STH), and English language learners (ELL) for 67% of offers at every District 1 elementary school for Pre-K and Kindergarten. Students who do not fall into those categories will get a priority for remaining 33% of seats.
Our goal is to continue to honor family choice, to give families more and better information about all the schools available to them, and to make changes to our process to help foster diversity and equity. Under this admissions model, sibling priority will remain in place for all applicants and specific additional criteria will still apply for Gifted and Talented and Dual Language programs. This admissions model will not impact currently enrolled District 1 students in grades K-12.
We encourage current and prospective District 1 families to attend an information session to learn more about this proposal. Families are welcome to attend an information session at any District 1 school. Interpretation services may be available upon request; please contact the school for support. See the calendar of events below.
We will host a district-wide information session on Tuesday, Sept. 26 at 6:30 PM at 333 East 4th Street and welcome all community members. School-based sessions are for current and prospective families to ask questions and provide feedback to school leaders.
This proposal creates an important moment and an opportunity for District 1 to make history here in New York City and as a national example. I support this proposal because I believe it will have a meaningful impact on our children and families, and that it will help strengthen all District 1 schools together.
We look forward to your questions and feedback.
Superintendent, Community School District 1
Diversity in Admissions - English
Diversity in Admissions - Spanish
Diversity in Admissions - Mandarin
Diversity in Admissions - Bengali
Diversity in Admissions - Russian